Friday, June 8, 2012

Our Song

That was the night the music stopped playing for me. The melody You'd been singing over me ended as I turned my ears to the noise of this world. So young, but I though I knew everything. My suitcase was packed with everything I thought I needed, I said goodbye to her, not knowing when we'd meet again. My heart was breaking, quickly resembling the cracked up sidewalk beneath my tiny feet. I felt deserted, abandoned, left to fight for myself, and it was then that I quit listening to the rhythm of Your heartbeat and began to dance to the beat of my own drum.

They dared me to do it, to bleed in front of them. And I wanted them to see that I was hurting. I couldn't tell them why- secrets weren't so safe with sisters. But I thought if maybe they saw how damaged I was, they could love me blindly through it.

Azure Ray played "November" in my ears, as the room spun in circles and visions danced in my head. I saw the life I had always known and waited helplessly for it all to smash to pieces. Your voice was drowned out by the sound of the levees breaching, and my memory was washed clean of the song We used to sing together.

From there the dirge of demons started, so deceivingly they'd play, with notes that sounded so sweet until I was in too deep. Then they'd all grow sour. The tune became foreboding, a cacophony of catastrophe swept me off my feet, as though they were playing to the scene of my final breath.

I tried to make it all make sense. I wrote line after line, trying to find my way back to Our song. But each line just left me desperate as each word became a silent scream that no one could hear. I couldn't sing anymore; my heart had forgotten Your graceful tune... so I stopped playing altogether.

And then one day I heard it, as though You'd been playing all along. It was faint, but it was there, only a whisper, but so familiar. I couldn't recognize it; the time had made me forget. But there was something about the way it was sung. I knew it could only be You. So I moved a little closer, then came the crescendo; a wondrous symphony of beauty rang out as you took me in Your arms.

I felt the drumbeats lure me in again. My heart was pounding in my chest, as all the words came back to me, the song You once sang over me. And we were singing together again, in a field of bright red roses. As instruments of heaven played sounds of perfect pitch, You called me Yours and I was home.

6/7

No comments:

Post a Comment