Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Divide

We said forever as though we could understand its limits. And we said always as if we held eternity. But we didn't even believe in eternity or the ability to live unbound by laws of time or space. Foolish promises made in haste for temporary relief in brokenness. Selfish expectations thrown up into the air, and we believed we'd catch them all before even one could shatter. A juggling act ended with broken glass and bleeding hearts. Splintered souls so tattered as we walked away, our life in pieces. Alone and desperate, darkness consumed and we went our separate ways to get better.

You went left and I went right, both of us into the night. Searching for answers and reasons why, you looked in the mirror; I looked towards the sky. You found your reflection, and I found the Light.

So now you stand in the mirror, armed with everything that guarantees to do the trick, to fix your mess and make you better. You try each elixir, every antidote and remedy, but every time that you look up, it's your reflection that you see: its brokenness, its pain persists, just masked by all that's sure to fix and never does. You stare within your own dark eyes, promising the next dose will be the last; then one hard swallow later, you're still staring back into the glass at your dim eyes and faded smile, another cycle, another mile around this same old town that you never did call home.

And while you're busy staring into a glass which just distorts your image, I find the Light that gives your glass its ability to reflect. And in that Light I find the Truth; in purest form, with pure intentions, wanting nothing in return but for me to start to learn to see myself the way He does. With outstretched arms He sacrificed all He had so that I might gaze into the beauty of Love that must endure. Within the Light, my walls and weapons fall, I do not need them after all. My only chore is to surrender and allow this Light to have its way. Your reflection is deceiving while my Light is penetrating every part of all I am and it is changing me to reflect perfectly all He is. 

Your ointments and your products tell you everything that's wrong, and you fight with all you have to belong and hear approval. Changing all you are and dying more each day. Trying to achieve the goals you don't set anyway. Slowly you're becoming just another memory of one who thought the way to live was in self-dependency.

But I am made into glass now. Fragile and transparent, willing to be broken. And His Light makes me a mirror reflecting His image. His grace and mercy, His love and faithfulness. An undistorted view of reality. Surpassing time and space and touching eternity finally. As I become nothing and He becomes everything... I am on the other side of better.

Will I see you on the other side of better?

No comments:

Post a Comment